The food&beverage is one of the most interesting sectors worldwide with around 8.650.000 of active companies.
It is a fast growing sector where new business opportunities are emerging.
From the NAICS 2017 database, we can see the division of the Food&Beverage sector in different sub-categories:
1) Crop Production: Industries in the Crop Production comprises establishments, such as farms, orchards, groves, greenhouses, and nurseries, primarily engaged in growing crops, plants, vines, or trees and their seeds. The three top countries are China with 20,67%, Italy with 14,84% and France with 13,14%.
2) Animal Production and Aquaculture: Industries in the Animal Production comprise establishments, such as ranches, farms, and feedlots primarily engaged in keeping, grazing, breeding, or feeding animals. The three top countries in this sector are China with 18,53%, France with 16,53% and Brazil with 11,22%.
3) Forestry and Logging: Industries in the Forestry and Logging comprises long production cycles use different production processes than short production cycles, which require more horticultural interventions prior to harvest, resulting in processes more similar to those found in the Crop Production subsector. The three top countries in this sector are Finland with 39,97%, Sweden with 20,55% and France with 7,44%.
4) Fishing, Hunting and Trapping: Industries in the Fishing, Hunting, and Trapping harvest fish and other wild animals from their natural habitats and are dependent upon a continued supply of the natural resources. The three top countries in this sector are Russia with 12,11%, United States with 9,14% and France with 8,83%.
5) Food Manufacturing: Industries in the Food Manufacturing subsector transform livestock and agricultural products into products for intermediate or final consumption. The three country where this sector is more developed are Brazil with 26,55%, China with 14,76% and United States with 12,96%.
6) Beverage and Tobacco Product Manufacturing: Industries in the Beverage and Tobacco Product Manufacturing includes three types of establishments: those that manufacture nonalcoholic beverages, those that manufacture alcoholic beverages through the fermentation process and those that produce distilled alcoholic beverages. The three top countries in this sector are the United States with 27,68%, China with 21,62% and Brazil with 5,50%.
Knowing the division of the sector is important in order to develop the right strategy that allows your company’s business to grow rapidly and understanding which is the most attractive market to invest in.